Do you want to be part of an exciting organization dedicated to inclusive advocacy and support of the plant-based foods industry? The Plant Based Foods Association represents over 170 company members including many of the nation’s leading brands. Our mission is to build a solid foundation for the plant-based foods industry to succeed and thrive.
We are seeking a communications director who is experienced in messaging, media relations, and social media to help our rapidly growing trade association tell our story through the news media. You will lead PBFA’s outreach efforts with reporters, and work with team members on messaging, social media, and related communications activities.
PBFA actively seeks diverse candidates. We are committed to building a culture of inclusion where all team members feel valued and can contribute their diverse experiences and perspectives. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, PBFA does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
- Develop and implement overall communications strategy with goals and metrics to measure the impact of PBFA’s internal and external outreach efforts
- Manage other communications team members, including full-time staff and consultants working on social media, website, policy communications, and other projects that touch on external communications
- Work with team to ensure our messaging is clear, consistent, and inclusive
- Draft and implement press releases, talking points, op-eds, letters to the editor, etc. that are consistent with the association’s goals and messaging
- Build and maintain local to national media contact relationships and lists
- Monitor, distribute, and analyze press coverage
- Speak both on- and off-the-record with news media to shape the narrative and provide context and quotes to stories
- Field requests, and maintain regular contact with reporters and build positive relationships to maximize the association’s media reach
- Work with the executive director to elevate her profile and voice in the news media, scheduling interviews in new markets, especially during her travel; Position relevant PBFA senior leadership as subject matter experts and seek opportunities for media input and coverage
- Serve as first point-of-contact for speaking requests for association staff and help coordinate talking points, logistics, etc.
- Serve as communications advisor and strategist to senior leadership
- Have sound understanding of digital marketing strategies including search engine optimization (SEO)
- Other related duties as assigned
Education, Experience, and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- 7-10 years in communications / media relations especially working directly with the news media with demonstrated on-the-record proficiency
- Outstanding oral, written and editing skills with a proven ability to craft consistent and compelling narrative through all forms of communications
- Strong interpersonal communication, active listening, and political acumen skills
- Excellent digital and social media strategy and execution skills
- Proven experience developing and executing inclusive and/or niche messaging
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, project management, and problem recognition, avoidance, and solving skills
- Ability to work both virtually, independently, collaboratively and as leader of a small communications team to meet key objectives
- Experience with contributing to organizational development, providing guidance and input as a part of the leadership team
- Strong attention to detail
This is a full-time position. Must be able and willing to work remotely. Salary is dependent on experience; benefits include healthcare, retirement, plus PTO. For more info about PBFA, visit plantbasedfoods.org.
Ready to help us @growplantbased? To apply, please send your resume and brief cover letter (one-page max) with “Communications Director” in the subject line, to email@example.com. No-calls please. Open until filled.