Do you want to be part of an exciting organization dedicated to the advocacy and support of healthy and sustainable eating? The Plant Based Foods Association represents 143 company members including many of the nation’s leading brands. Our mission is to promote the plant-based foods industry by removing obstacles to a fair and competitive marketplace for alternatives to animal ingredients and products.
We are seeking a part-time bookkeeper/ payroll manager who is experienced with membership association and/or nonprofit bookkeeping and accounting principles. You are a dynamic, driven professional who is passionate about plant-based foods and eager to build on our momentum and support our growing association.
- Ensure the accuracy of the PBFA books.
- Obtain and maintain an understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure and systems in use.
- Enter all vendor invoices to QuickBooks and prepare checks for payment.
- Generate member invoices, oversee A/R deposits made in house and through outside contractors and post receipts to QuickBooks.
- Perform month-end bank and credit card reconciliations.
- Ensure proper supporting documentation for all journal entries entered into the accounting records.
- Ensure accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close activities including accruals, adjustments, depreciation, reconciliations, variance explanations and documentation.
- Produce monthly and quarterly financial reports as needed.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll, handle special payrolls and manual check runs as required.
- Ensure each payroll is accurately prepared and timely delivered to executive director.
- Prepare bi-weekly 403(b) plan contributions summary and upload to third party administrator.
- Enroll new employees and process terminations; update rate changes and tax withholdings changes as needed.
- Calculate and prepare year-end accruals for payroll and accrued benefit hours.
- Calculate and prepare monthly benefit, bonus and PTO accruals.
- Manage vacation requests and other absences for payroll.
- Perform monthly reconciliation and analysis of salary expense, benefits, bonus expense, payroll tax, PTO, manual payroll checks and employee deductions.
- Prepare quarterly reconciliations between payroll tax returns and general ledger expense accounts and investigate differences.
- Assist with audits of internal records, workers compensation, tax filings, and related documentation.
- Manage annual audit, filing of tax returns and filing of the employer 403b retirement account.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 4-7 years processing payroll and bookkeeping
- In-depth knowledge of QuickBooks online and Excel
- Experience working with organizations that collect membership dues on a rolling basis.
- Knowledge of California payroll laws, taxes, and related resources.
- Comfortable working under deadline pressure and able to prioritize and multi-task.
- Detail oriented with capability to manage deadlines and priorities.
- Ability to work independently
- Capable of maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to effectively communicate with employees and management
- Willingness to cover other accounting functions including but not limited to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and related functions.
- Positive, can-do attitude
This is a part-time consulting position, roughly 5-10 hours per week with room to grow. Must be able and willing to work remotely and onsite in Oakland. Must reside in Bay Area. Applicants from underrepresented populations strongly encouraged to apply.
Ready to help us @growplantbased? To apply, please send your resume, and brief cover letter (one-page max) with “Bookkeeper position” in the subject line, to Ciara LaChaux at Ciara@plantbasedfoods.org. No-calls. Open until filled.